Thursday, March 3, 2011

Tiffin

I decided to change the format of this blog to a food blog... something that's a bit more interesting to read about than studying. I'll try to add in the occasional medical anecdote as well :)

Being of Indian origin, I am used to having "tiffin" in the afternoons at home. Tiffin is a common afternoon snack. It includes savory snacks and the ubiquitous cup of chai.

For my tiffin snack today, I chose to make a bread upma, a delicious way to put your stale bread to use. I remember my mom making this on a regular basis when I came back from school, back in the day. It is easy to make - Temper with mustard seeds, cumin, and hing (asafoetida). Slice bread into cubes, and saute with red onions, green chili, and tomato. I like to use grape tomatoes because of their wonderful sweet flavor and juicy texture. Season with chili powder, turmeric, and salt. Done! Combined with a hot cup of ginger chai, this snack is the perfect pick-me-up to tackle the rest of the day.




2 comments:

  1. my fave tiffin snack too, swathi ..... i do this with breakfast's idlis too..... and if i can find the time / mood with fried onion chutney to go with it.....

    tho' i'm not a tea person..... my poison is fragrant filter coffee ......

    ultimate unplanned tiffin idea !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are a fatty i am a fatti-er :P

    ReplyDelete